What a week it has been! We arrived back in Oliver’s province on Wednesday, returned to the Galactic Peace Hotel (and yes, Sarah, its suspicious green Galactic Sculpture is still there!). It was a little bit like coming home…well, kind of!
We had one night back in Nanchang while we organized the visit back to Oliver’s Orphanage County (the Chinese equivalent of a small town...this one has (only) 100,000 people...), and then on Thursday headed back to the County where Oliver spent the first 8 month of his life. The county is small, about 3 hours drive from Nanchang…and is the real China. No frills, no fuss, and no luxury. We stayed in the county for two difficult, emotionally draining, confusing, enlightening, awareness-building days. We have gained a lot of information and insight into Oliver’s life before us, and we are so glad that we made the trip back.
But now, we’re on the way home. Nanna and Poppy are getting excited!!
We’ve decided to have a few extra days here in Nanchang to regroup after the visit to the county, and have been taking it very easy today.
My first mother’s day (yay yay yay!!! Finally!!!) was spent making a trip to Wal-Mart for essential supplies (nappies, more cute little short sets for Oliver, and Oreos) and having a “special” lunch at KFC. Now, we don’t eat KFC at home….so why on earth we thought it would be a good idea to have KFC in Nanchang, I have no idea. It was awful – just awful. I think the chicken died of old age! Thank goodness we had bought Oreos (as a side note….it always amazes me that wherever we go in the world – Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Bulawayo…there are always Oreo cookies in the local shop, and they are always cheap!).
“My Boys” (I love saying that) and I also skyped Nanna, Poppy and Aunty J, and this afternoon caught up with P’s sister and her lovely family on Skype – they watched Ollie have his dinner (fascinating stuff!) and, like us, were amazed by the amount of food one little 9 month old boy can eat!! Groceries are going to be more expensive……
So that’s where we’re at. Just hanging out here for a few days and then having a few days in Hong Kong before heading home late Saturday night.
Thank you to everyone who has asked about coming to meet us at the airport – we really appreciate your excitement and support. We have decided to just keep the airport for Nanna and Poppy though…they have been waiting for every minute of the 7 ½ years we have been on this journey, and we think it would be nice for them to have some quiet time with their first grandchild when we first hit homeland soil. I hope you all understand?!!
Must run….my darling little boy has gone to bed quite early and given me a mother’s day gift of some precious time with daddy tonight. We have a bottle of wine (I won’t get my hopes up!) and some room service on its way…..sounds perfect.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mummies out there. I finally know what it’s like to be in your exclusive club…and I like it!
T xxxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Your son is so handsome i have throughly enjoyed following your journey.
So very thrilled that you have finally had your first Mother's Day T - and have I mentioned before that Ollie is the MOST HANDSOME little man I have ever seen???!!!! Cristina xxx
Wow good on you for doing all this extra travelling and research, I am impressed and it makes me think about whether I would do it too...one day in the very unknown future! Oliver is just the bees knees. I think he is in the dictionary under "Button" -cute as :)
Dani (& Sergey) B13
Love him! Love him! Love him! OMG, I just realised how much HAIR he has on his gorgeous little head! He will need a haircut all too soon!
Kisses to you all! See you when you get settled back home!
Goddamn! That boys justs gets better looking in every post doesn't he. He is the cutest little munchkin, and that smile! God Gods, that's gonna knock girls off their feet.
You are so incredibly blessed. After a personally fruitless 10 years of IVF etc, I think I can kind of understand the level of frustration you must have been feeling waiting for such a long long long time.
But when I see Oliver's beautiful happy perfect little face I can believe that so much of your previous pain becomes a distant memory.
Congratulations again, and enjoy your special time with Ollie. Your friends _will_ understand about the airport.
I think S&A might have rethought their airport visit if they'd known what they were in for. Poor little kittens.
Regards
Kate
Hi again. Goof to hear that when you come home it will just be Nanna and Pop for a few days. Please let us know when you are comfortable for visitors though as we are all excited. Specially J. I've never known a 10 year old to croon so much!!! Promise to leave you alone til your ready. How cool your first mothers ay.. It is good isn't it. Wait til he starts bringing home lovely little hand made gifts-that is the coolest. Love to both. Will try and catch up as much as possible have so thoroughly enjoyed every word and every piture so far (specially the pictures!!! Love J,K,J,E & E
Post a Comment