Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Kindness of Strangers

You know how some weeks you plod along in life and, through a series of unrelated (and usually pretty minor) incidents, you get the impression that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and people just suck....well, last week was one of those weeks. Until....

Until P and I went shopping on Saturday. We'd stopped for a mid-morning caffeine boost and noticed 2 caucasian ladies and a Vietnamese girl aged about 7 sitting nearby. Having our "adoption radar" on high alert, we wondered who the family were, and whether the little girl was indeed adopted.

After coffee, we went into a gorgeous little toy shop next door to "browse"..the family we had noticed was in there too. I couldn't help myself, so quietly excused myself and asked one of the ladies if her beautiful child was adopted (when the child was well out of earshot of course!!). She replied that no, she wasn't adopted, she was her foster daughter. I explained that we were about to go to China to adopt Oliver, and apologised for intruding on her privacy.

She got a little teary, and told me that she had always wanted to adopt a child from China, but had been unable to. I felt a connection with this lovely lady that I had never met before. She had a mother's heart.

I was waiting at the counter to pay for something I had "browsed" at...when the lady came up and bought a beautiful blue picture frame...and then gave it to me as a gift, along with a big hug and a huge smile.

This lovely lady had bought us a gift for our son - we had met her 2 minutes before!

We were both so overwhelmed by her generosity and kindness... For once I didn't know what to say. This little boy of ours is already creating magic.

People are so surprising...sometimes in a really good way.

4 comments:

Cristina said...

What a great story T - makes me smile :)

Cristina xx

Mama Gringa said...

Ok.. needed the tissues! LOL, I am such an emotional lush at the moment... Cannot wait to see you with your little man!

Jen Boote said...

That is so beautiful. I'm sitting here typing with tears in my eyes. Truly the journey of adoption opens doors in people's hearts that may have been closed for years. I know this sweet lady touched your lives - but I have no doubt you touched hers to. Ah! the miracle of adoption. Thinking of you LOTS! love that little man too :) Jen and Ebony xx

Anonymous said...

That is such a gorgeous story T,.
Thankyou for sharing it,
Hugs to you all,
Kim